Thursday, March 6, 2014

The Oscars....I get older but the girls stay the same age

Dear Matthew McConaughey,

Hollywood finally got it right. 21 years after Matthew McConaughey was slighted for his performance as David Wooderson in the movie “Dazed and Confused” which launched the career of the talent that uttered the immortal words; “I get older, but the girls stay the same age” the elite in the world of movies decided it was time to fill the empty spot in his trophy case with that gold statue. In his acceptance speech which lasted just over 4 minutes he mentioned the three things he needs each day in his life. They were as followed:
1.       Something to look up to….God
2.       Something to look forward to….Family
3.       Someone to chase….His Hero (himself)
These things are so simple in principle and functionally that we all can use them both personally and professionally every day to make our lives better. Let me expound on this a little bit deeper. Some people scoff and claim there is no “God”. Being a person who does not attend church other than weddings (these places tend to burn upon my entrance) or come from a family with any religious affiliation I do know there is a “God” out there for all of us. He may not be the dude pictured in books or films with the long white beard sitting in the clouds but he or she is the person that we turn to when things are bad and pray for better days along with when things are going good and you count your blessings. They give us both hope and inspiration. He spoke about how his father, mother, wife and kids are the people in his life that he constantly strives to make proud of his accomplishments. Family like God can have many meanings. I’ve been blessed in my life to have quite the extended family other than my biological parents and siblings. They are people who I call mom and dad and who I always look forward to spending time with. They’re friends who I can’t call if I ever go to jail because they will be sitting next to me in the cell saying; “Now that was one hell of a night”. They are the ones that make you smile when they utter the words; “We are proud of you” and make you reassess your life when they state “We’re disappointed”. Like the previous two analogies a hero comes in many forms. He or she is the one we chase everyday trying to better ourselves so we can eventually accomplish and attain what they have in their lives. That hero should continue to evolve as you progress through life. The person who you want to be at 21 shouldn’t be the person you look forward to being at 50. It makes us work harder and know that satisfaction is always evolving. Mmmmmm….Look up to God, Make your family proud and always chase your dreams. How elementary and brilliant is that??? Matthew McConaughey thank you for not forgetting where you came from and the steps you’ve taken to get to where you are today. You’re always going to be the man that’s just got to keep on livin… L-I-V-I-N…Just now you’ve got that coveted gold statue…..Alright…Alright…..Alright

PS. Happy Thursday peeps and just one more day to the weekend and remember…..There’s a part of me that says I shouldn’t party, then it realizes it’s drunk and just talking gibberish.


#matthewmcconaughey #oscar #empireliving

No comments:

Post a Comment